When you’re searching for a new dentist, you’re looking for someone more than just a teeth cleaner.
Your dental health is a key part of your overall health, so it’s important for every patient to have a dentist who makes them feel at home.
Additionally, you want a dental professional who is looking out for the best interest of you and your family.
Having a dental homebase allows you to feel comfortable when you’re dropping in for a regular visit and gives you a safe place to turn for a procedure or dental emergency.
Castlemaine Smiles offers you the following tips on how to find the best dental fit for you and your family.
12 Factors to Consider
- How long has the practice has been in operation?
- What is the dentist’s training and clinical experience in performing the procedure you may require?
- If the dentist does not perform certain procedures, ask about his/her referral process.
- Before choosing a dentist, identify all the treatments that can solve your cosmetic dental concern. Ask about the pros and cons of each option, including price and payment plans.
- Ask about the types of professional dental societies the dentist participates in.
- Ask about the type of emergency care offered. For example, is the dentist available after hours and on weekends?
- Inquire about patient comforts, such as nitrous oxide, and amenities such as music.
- Inquire about the use of dental lasers as an alternative to traditional dental tools such as tooth drilling and scalpels.
- Is the office conveniently located? This could be important if your procedures require frequent or multiple visits.
- If you need a cosmetic dentistry procedures, ask to see before-and-after photos of previous patients. Bring a photo of the result you would like to see so the dentist can help you determine if your expectations are reasonable.
- Determine costs prior to treatment. Total cost should include procedure fees, anesthesia fees, and facility fees. If you have insurance it is likely there will be some coverage applicable to procedures such as preventative dental care (professional cleanings and exams) and amalgam fillings (the traditional metal fillings). Less coverage may be available for other treatments. But you need to know what will be paid for by insurance and what will come out of pocket.
- Is the dental team friendly and courteous? You may not want to see a dentist long term if you don’t feel comfortable with his/her team.
Launch Your Search
Once you begin looking for a dentist, you will probably notice that advertisements are everywhere – online, in the newspaper and even in your mailbox. Social media sites may also have patient reviews of dentists near you, but remember that every person’s dental health needs and experiences are their own.
Ask friends and family about their dentist
Ask your friends and neighbors (or trusted health care practitioner such as your doctor or pharmacist) where they go for dental care. There is no better way to find a great dentist than to find out who your friends and neighbors trust. Their first-hand experiences can be invaluable in determining if their dentist is the right one for you.
Use Online Tools
Look at online review sites like Google or Yelp. These can be a great place to read about other patients’ experiences and get valuable information. Remember that no one is perfect, so a single bad review shouldn’t stop you from considering a particular practice. Also, focus more on reviews that are detailed and thorough. You can also use Google to determine if the location of a dentist is convenient, and the address of their website.
Take a look at the website and blog. If you’ve found a potential dentist you should be able learn more about them on their website. Check patient reviews, pictures of the office, or videos explaining procedures, which can all help you decide. If they have a sloppy or confusing website, it may be a symptom of their general practice.
Visit the Dentist
Once you have narrowed down your search, go on a visit. Most dentists are happy to let you visit before making the decision to take them on. A visit gives you a chance to meet with the dental team and learn more about the way they work.
Get a Treatment
Have the dentist perform a simple treatment, such as a clean, to determine if you feel comfortable with them. If you don’t, it is your right to walk away and choose a different dentist.
Castlemaine Smiles, your local dentist serving Castlemaine and the surrounding areas
At Castlemaine Smiles, we are committed to helping you achieve excellence in dental health and believe that almost all dental disease can be prevented. It is because of this fact that Sims Dental is highly regarded by patients who desire quality, long term solutions to enhance the appearance, comfort and function of their teeth.
At Castlemaine Smiles, we welcome any questions that you may have as we believed that only by working as a team together can excellence in dental care be provided.