Toothache, or dental pain, is probably the most inconvenient form of dental emergency. It affects your sleep, eating, concentration, speaking, basically all your activities.
Over-the counter pain relievers can be very helpful but they do not treat the problem. They only mask the pain for some time until it returns and becomes worse, swelling, or even resulting in pus.
At Castlemaine Smiles Dentist we determine the cause of your pain immediately so we can start your treatment immediately. Our Same Day Emergency Appointment is usually available for all your dental emergencies.
Common Causes Of Toothache Or Dental Pain
Toothache or dental pain can be caused by many factors. Determining the cause of your pain is important in establishing the correct treatment for you.
The following are the common causes of toothache or dental pain:
- Tooth decay – This is the most common reason for a toothache. Poor oral hygiene coupled with unbalanced diet can raise the risk of tooth decay. The bacteria in the accumulated plaque eat the tooth away, which then causes severe pain when irritated.
- Gum disease – Accumulated plaque also attack the gums which can lead to gum inflammation and infection. Toothache therefore is only a symptom of a progressing gum disease that can lead to more serious problems such as periodontal disease.
- Tooth eruption – Toothache or dental pain can be a sign that a tooth is erupting. This is very common in children and in even in adults when their wisdom teeth erupt.
- Grinding teeth (bruxism) – Bruxism is the involuntary grinding of the teeth than usually happens at night. Toothache is only one of its many damages.
First Aid For Toothache Or Dental Pain
Administering first aid is important to alleviate pain but it is still important to visit your dentist immediately to assess the cause of your pain and start the treatment.
If you are suffering from Toothache or dental pain follow these steps:
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water.
- Gently floss teeth to ensure no food particles are left.
- Control swelling by use of a cold compress.
- Over-the-counter pain reliever and numbing gels can relieve the pain but do not take aspirin if you are not yet 18.
- Never put aspirin against gums near aching tooth because it can burn the gum tissue.
- Call your dentist immediately.
Treatment Of Toothache Or Dental Pain At Castlemaine Smiles Dentist
Once you meet your dentist for your scheduled appointment, your dentist will perform a series of examinations to determine the cause of your toothache.
This is important to save your teeth from further damage. For example, if the cause is tooth decay, immediate attention can prevent extraction.
After treating your toothache, your local dentist at Castlemaine Smiles will provide you with helpful tips to help you avoid having a toothache again.
Castlemaine Smiles Dentist, Your Local Dentist In Castlemaine
Administering proper first aid is crucial to alleviate pain during dental emergencies. But to ensure absolute safety, visiting your dentist immediately is just as important.
Same Day Emergency Appointment is usually available at Castlemaine Smiles Dentist.