Bad breath occasionally effects us all, however for some of us it seems to be a constant problem, which can dramatically limit confidence in personal relationships.
We shy away from close contact with our family, friends and lovers, leaving us with a sense of isolation.
If your bad breath becomes persistent and affects your life, consider visiting your Castlemaine Smiles Dentist as soon as possible. We can provide the right solution to your bad breath dilemmas.
Common Causes of Bad Breath
Bad breath can be caused by many things:
- Volatile sulphur compounds (VSCs) produced by mouth bacteria and the breakdown of oral proteins. This is the most common cause of bad breath
- Oral diseases such a gum disease, tooth decay, or poor oral hygiene
- Medical diseases such as liver disease, kidney disease, or diabetes
How To Manage Bad Breath
There are many ways to mask the mouth odour or eliminate it effectively:
- Keep your mouth hydrated all day by drinking plenty of water or eating crunchy, juicy fruits
- Avoid eating foods or drinking beverages with a strong smell
- Chew foods that can freshen your breath instantly, such as mint or parsley
- Don’t go to bed without brushing your teeth
- Maintain good oral hygiene habits everyday
- Visit your dentist and dental hygienist for regular checkups and cleans
Bad Breath Cure
It is most important that anyone suffering from bad breath should see their dentist and physician to exclude diseases that require treatment.
The most common type of bad breath caused by VSCs cannot be ‘cured’ but can be managed on a daily basis so that you do not have to suffer the social consequences of halitosis.
Oral care systems containing chorine dioxide (e.g. CloSYS) do not try to mask the odour of bad breath, they react with the sulphur compounds so that they no longer give off their foul odour. Oxygen given off by the systems also kills the bacteria responsible for the smell.
Bad Breath Solutions at Castlemaine Smiles
We can permanently eliminate bad breath by identifying the cause of the problem. Through preventative care and oral hygiene education, we can bring back the health and quality of your breath. Treatments are recommended if the problem is caused by dental or medical conditions.
For a comprehensive dental examination, the first stage to your road to fresh breath, visit your Castlemaine Smiles Dentist today!