Our extraction procedure can give you permanent relief from wisdom tooth pain
Wisdom teeth, or third molars, are so termed as they usually erupt during one’s late teenage years or early twenties, around the time that one is perceived to be more mature. A person could have up to four wisdom teeth, two on each side of the jaw.
When they are able to come through in the right manner, they can really help us chew better. However, more often than not, they could also cause severe pain and discomfort, and might require surgical extraction. This could be due to any of the following reasons:
- They could be impacted. Put simply, they might not be able to erupt fully, as there may just not be enough room in your mouth. This could result in partial eruption, or them coming in at a wrong angle, all of which can be really painful. Depending on the case, our dentists would recommend a minor gum procedure to help the wisdom tooth come through in the intended manner.
- It could cause tooth decay. A partially erupted wisdom tooth is not easy to brush clean, and this might cause accumulation of food particles, saliva and bacteria around it, resulting in decay. The position of the tooth would make it difficult to address the dental decay, and extraction would be the next best alternative.
- The gums could get infected. Sometimes, a partially erupted wisdom tooth could also cause accumulation of food particles, saliva and bacteria under the gum, leading to an infection. If not treated in time, this could even spread out further, towards the neck.
- There might be pressure pain. When a wisdom tooth comes in at a faulty angle, they could push against the adjacent teeth. This not only erodes the surrounding teeth, but also causes a lot of pain. In such cases, it is always a wise idea to extract the wisdom tooth, which is the root cause of the pain.
- Prosthodontic and orthodontic work could get impacted. Patients who have had such dental work done prior to wisdom teeth eruption are usually recommended an extraction, so as to not compromise the results of the treatment.
At Castlemaine Smiles, we have a special interest in the assessment and safe extraction of impacted wisdom teeth. While it is a common dental procedure, we ensure that we do it right the first time, so that we can help prevent any problems going forward.
Having wisdom tooth pain? Request an appointment today!
Wisdom Tooth Extraction near Bendigo at our Castlemaine dental clinic
On your first visit, we would do a quick dental X-ray to get a clear picture of your overall tooth structure, including your wisdom teeth. The position of the tooth would help us ascertain whether or not the wisdom tooth needs to be extracted.
In case an extraction is needed, our dentist will explain the procedure in detail, including the precautions to be taken before and after the surgery, as well as the pros and cons of the different anesthetic options. Based on your inputs and preferences, we will draw up a custom treatment plan for you.
In most cases, we will be able to go through with the wisdom tooth extraction near Bendigo at our state-of-the-art Castlemaine clinic. In some severe cases, we might need to refer the patient to an external oral surgeon, or have them removed under general anesthesia at a hospital.
Post surgery (which usually lasts for around 45 minutes to an hour), our dentist will share a detailed aftercare plan to help you better cope with, and heal from the surgery. You could expect some level of swelling, bruising and pain, which should start to subside within 3 days. It would take around a month for your mouth to heal completely.
In case of any severe discomfort post surgery, our dentists will be available to support you through the process.
Our dedicated staff will do whatever it takes to ensure that you are pain-free at the earliest. You can trust our team to provide the right care for your dental concerns. If patients cannot be treated at Castlemaine Smiles, we may need to refer them to our other practice in Golden Square or to an oral Surgeon, depending on the complexity and risks involved.
Need a wisdom tooth extraction near Bendigo?
Click Here to Book Your Appointment!